ICC u-turn over allocation of global events as bidding process removed

News

All tournaments over the next cycle starting in 2023 will be selected by the board

Hosts for ICC events will not be determined through an open bidding process, and instead will be selected by its board. In what amounts effectively to a u-turn, the ICC said after a board meeting on Tuesday that a process for selecting hosts for all of its events in the next rights cycle from 2023-2031 had been approved and would begin this month.

How that process will work was not revealed, but the decision to roll back from inviting bids from all members will please a number of boards who had been opposed to it, including the BCCI and ECB. All men’s, women’s and Under-19 events in the next cycle will be selected rather than bid for. The process of selecting hosts for men’s events in the cycle – which now includes the return of the Champions Trophy and an expanded 50-over World Cup and T20 World Cup – will begin this month, with all events allocated a host by September.

The hosting process for women’s and U-19 events will commence in November and, the ICC said, “will be an opportunity to engage with a wider range of Members including first-time hosts.”

The decision to implement bidding for events was one of the more contentious outcomes of an ICC meeting in October 2019, that has since rumbled through discussions on the next cricket calendar. Potentially opening up the ability for any member – full, associate or affiliate – to bid to host ICC events was a significant shift from how event locations were decided upon in the previous eight-year cycle: all the major global men’s events were essentially divvied up between Australia, India and England.

(With Inputs from ESPN)

#ICC #uturn #allocation #global #events #bidding #process #removed